Tom Carter of San Francisco is an internationally published freelance photographer and travel writer specializing in the People's Republic of China.
[add to friends|email]
view: column | group | hide
||May 24, 2012 23:05
Invite a Friend
- "Bookalikes": six degrees of Shanghai Girls
- Lisa See, Vivian Yang and Lan Lan claw it out for the title of original "Shanghai Girl"!
- | Feb 29, 2012
- The Making of a CHINA Photography Book
- I often receive emails from aspiring authors and photographers inquiring about the creation process or asking for publishing advice. I am hardly any kind of publishing professional or literary expert, but I am always happy to share my experiences.
- | Jan 17, 2012
- Open call for all literary agents, foreign rights and translation sub-agents
- Foreign rights and translation publication rights now available for Carter's book. Book publisher announces open call.
- | Mar 17, 2011
- Christian Science Monitor reviews new China photography book
- The American photojournalist spent two years traveling 35,000 miles through every province of China to photograph this 900-photo book.
- | Aug 28, 2010
- Carter publishes new book about CHINA
- Carter graphically documents the old China as well as the work in progress that is New China. "The goal was to portray China as it portrayed itself to me," Carter says.
- | Aug 10, 2010
- Carter: "Send all High School Grads to a Developing Country"
- "America ought to enact a requisite travel-abroad program for all high-school graduates to work or teach in a developing country for a year, like a compulsory Peace Corps."
- | Aug 6, 2010
- Tom Carter's Advice for Aspiring Photographers and Authors
- From sending query letters to publishers, to negotiating contracts and terms, to designing your layout, to fighting with editors, to getting reviewed in the press to finding a book-store distributor, Tom Carter shares it all in this exclusive interview.
- | Jul 11, 2010
- Art, Architecture & Photography Book Review: CHINA
- The point of this book is to bring to life the China that people around the world might not know.
- | Jul 7, 2010
- The Face of Real China
- Groundbreaking snapshots were compiled into CHINA: Portrait of a People. With the international release of his book this summer, the rest of the world can now tag along on Tom Carter's eye-opening journey through China.
- | Jul 7, 2010
- A Photography Book Review of Biblical Proportions
- Two books about China with nearly identical names was enough happenstance to invite a proverbial David-and-Goliath comparison between both: one a major title from a well-financed publishing house and the other released under the radar by an independent
- | Jun 25, 2010
- Carter's China Photo Book FINALLY Debuts on Amazon.com!
- At 600 pages and over 800 photos, CHINA: Portrait of a People is the most comprehensive photography book on modern China ever published by a single author. Available NOW on Amazon.com!
- | Jun 25, 2010
- The World in Photos
- As a regular world traveler for business and pleasure, one of my hobbies is to collect coffee table books for every country or city I have visited. This is a list of stand-out photography books, the ones that really are displayed on my coffee table.
- | Jun 3, 2010
- Books About White Guys Who Like Chinese Girls
- Reading list of novels that romanticize, dramatize or otherwise glorify Sino-miscegenation. Some call this Asiaphilia or Yellow Fever.
- | May 7, 2010
- Snapshot of a country (china.org reviews new photo book)
- "China: Portrait of a People is a snapshot of an entire country in a time of great change; a truthful and touching portrayal of the Chinese people in all their variety, charm and earthiness," writes John Sexton, book reviewer for China.Org
- | Dec 12, 2008
- Give the Gift of CHINA
- This Christmas, give the gift that keeps on giving - 640 pages of photography from the 33 provinces of China - captured in Tom Carter's stunning new book CHINA: Portrait of a People, available ONLY online from Blacksmith Books! Thank you for your support.
- | Dec 8, 2008
- TimeOut Magazine reviews new China photobook
- A land so vast, so disparate, that 638 pages of photos barely manage to scratch the surface. Still, Portrait of a People is a very good place to start peeling back the layers.
- | Nov 1, 2008
- Cairns Magazine Reviews New China Photo Book
- Apparently, Carter aimed his camera at nearly everyone: dancing students, smiling seniors, sooty coal miners, tattooed gangsters, military recruits, young monks, weary auto-workers, street-side dentists, river-boat riders, fowl-toting farmers, hitch-hikin
- | Oct 20, 2008
- New Book Review: Lone Photographer Snaps True China
- CHINA: Portrait of a People provides a more honest picture of this turbulent land than a rack of China travel books pre-approved by the Ministry of Information.
- | Oct 14, 2008
- China's Vast Diversity Caught on Film
- Photojournalist Tom Carter traveled for 2 years across the 33 provinces of China to show the diversity of Chinese People in CHINA: Portrait of a People, the most comprehensive book of photography on modern China ever published by a single author.
- | Aug 29, 2008
- List of Chinese Banned Books
- This Amazon.com list highlights the most notorious works of Chinese controversial or banned literature from China's most fearless authors.
- | Jul 11, 2008
- CHINA Historical Fiction Books
- While there is no end to fictional novels about the Chinese, nor to the volumes of scholarly works on China's history, the China HISTORICAL FICTION genre remains one of literature's most diminutive.
- | Jul 8, 2008
- Thomas Carter's Profile on Amazon.Com
- Thomas Carter's reviews, lists and favorite books, music and movies on Amazon.Com
- | Jul 4, 2008
- Today's Author interviews China photojournalist Tom Carter
- Photojournalist Tom Carter appeared on Blog Talk Radio Today's Author with host David K. Ewen to discuss Tom's upcoming book of photography CHINA: Portrait of a People, which is expected to be the most comprehensive book of photography on modern China eve
- | May 29, 2008
- Tom Carter, author of CHINA: Portrait of a People
- Tom Carter's books, profile, biography, articles, news and blogs on AuthorsDen.com
- | May 2, 2008
- Top Ten Books About China
- Tom Carter lists his top 10 books to read on China (Shefari).
- | Dec 31, 2007
- (JumpCut Video) featuring Faye Wong ~ CHINA: Portrait of a People
- 3 minute video montage of portraits of Chinese people from the 33 provinces of China. Featuring the song 'Cambrian' by Wong Faye. Photographed and edited by Tom Carter.
- | Nov 29, 2007
- American photojournalist Tom Carter completes groundbreaking 33-province journey
- | Jul 13, 2007